Director of Platform & Operations
The Helm is looking for a motivated self-starter to scale and execute our venture operations and platform strategy. This role will work to cultivate, manage, and leverage networks and services to help elevate The Helm’s portfolio companies, as well as work alongside the firm’s leadership to ensure seamless operational and fund management support. This role is multi-disciplinary and will involve exposure to general administration, marketing, platform, and finance. It also requires an intimate understanding of the highs and lows of startup life, and 2-3 days per week working in person in New York City. This is not an investing role, though you will have a front seat to the investing side of VC.
- Develop resources, programs, and connections to address the key challenges and needs of The Helm’s portfolio
- Support with critical talent needs, specifically executive search, recruiting operations, employer branding efforts, & diversity & inclusion
- Develop and track portfolio company KPIs
- Grow and maintain a network of external service providers to support portfolio companies, including executive search firms, lawyers, banks, executive coaches, PR firms, etc.
- Prepare quarterly portfolio updates for investors and wider community
- Drive community events strategy, logistics, and budget, including the annual meeting, ecosystem dinners, etc.
- Manage investment-related operations, including collecting cap tables, maintaining investment data room, and implementing and maintaining a portfolio management system; liaise with external counsel for deal matters
- Reconcile monthly expenses and liaise with the outsourced finance team to manage firm accounting and record-keeping
- Assist with management of investor relationships, including outreach, presentations, and data management
- Spearhead ad hoc special projects
- Oversee day-to-day operations of The Helm’s Funds
- 5–7+ years of prior experience in an operations role in either a VC/PE firm or operating company/startup
- Strong communication skills with a high EQ; this is a people-facing role
- A sense of urgency around and ownership of deliverables and a commitment to delivering quality results with great attention to detail
- Legendary organization skills & a desire to build
- Investing experience is nice-to-have, but not required. This is not an investing role, though you will have a front seat to the investing side of VC.
- Integrity, a sense of humor, and a belief in the power of community
- Our core values include generosity, positivity, discipline, and curiosity; all of which we consider non-negotiables in building a successful company and fund