Seed Genetics Alliances & Business Development Lead
Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 270 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we've intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
About the role…
You will work closely with Inari’s science, product, and commercial teams to support the development of collaborations with leading genetics development and breeding organizations. This role will focus on specific key accounts which may be in different regions around the world with preference for candidates with Latin America (Brazil) experience. You will identify customer needs and determine which INARI gene editing technologies or tools can meet those customers’ needs. The ideal candidate must have vision and foresight to align customer needs to INARI tools and technologies for both existing tools as well as product concepts for the future. This is a highly collaborative role that requires excellent communication skills, negotiation skills, and leadership to coordinate amongst multiple internal teams. The role will also help evaluate & create new business opportunities for Inari.
The ideal candidate demonstrates the ability to execute and manage complex commercial deals with global genetics developers across multiple crops. This role includes leading and supporting deals from negotiation to full execution and collection of milestone and royalty payments. A plant science and/or agricultural industry background with deep experience in negotiating collaborations and managing key accounts across multiple crops and countries.
The position reports to the Senior Director, Key Accounts. This role can be based either in Inari’s West. Lafayette, Indiana or Cambridge, Massachusetts office or in a remote location. This role will involve significant travel to support key accounts both domestically and internationally.
As a Seed Genetics Alliances and Business Development Lead you will...
- Lead the development of INARI’s commercial strategy for entry into the Brazil market
- Be responsible for negotiating agreements that deliver future revenue for INARI via collaboration or business development
- Be responsible to identify, qualify, and establish new business opportunity deals that leverage Inari’s science and business offerings for assigned accounts and / or geographies. Assignment of responsibilities for crops, geographies, and customers will evolve as our business evolves.
- Develop new strategies and tactics that will create win / win agreements
- Coordinate with our Germplasm Licensing Manager to evaluate collaboration partner germplasm as compared to Inari’s product needs, movement of seed, and support to the collaborators to position and integrate the improved lines back into their breeding and product development efforts
- Leverage collaborative relationships with Inari’s Science, Product, and Commercial teams to accelerate the development of commercial collaborations and partnerships
- Provide customer feedback and industry insight to Inari’s marketing, product management, and product development teams
- Provide bi-annual progress updates to all assigned collaboration partners
You bring / highly desired…
- BS college degree required with an agriculture, business, or science focus.
- Business-to-Business experience, especially experience in seed licensing
- 10+ years of commercial experience including key account management, complex deal negotiation and execution in seeds or plant traits
- Extensive knowledge of seed company business processes and a keen understanding of seed company needs for gene editing, traits, and genetics
- Extensive network of contacts in one of the major crop markets
- Strong leadership and influencing ability at all levels of a customer's organization
- A flexible, agile, personable, team-oriented approach; an ability to think “out-of-the-box”, and operate in a fast-paced, early stage, small company environment
- Ability to work both independently and deliver on responsibilities within a highly collaborative business partnering environment
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted business deals, and see those projects through to conclusion
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with scientists, commercial teams, and management
- Ability to distill complexity and to communicate decisively with sound judgment
- A strong sense of purpose and drive to develop unique, high impact solutions and business deals
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks, and the ability to recognize and learn from failure
- High attention to detail
FOR U.S. CANDIDATES: Please note that we use the resume you submit with your application during our background check process. To ensure an efficient and accurate background verification, we kindly ask that you carefully review and accurately represent your work history, education and other relevant information on your resume. Any discrepancies or inaccuracies found during the background check may impact your candidacy for the position.