Lab Operations Assistant
Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 270 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we've intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
About the role…
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and pro-active Lab Support to join our fast-growing team at Inari Ghent. This position is a hands-on, lab-based role with a focus on effective delivery, troubleshooting and supporting all lab colleagues in the daily needs for (plant) media, buffers, glassware, consumables etc.. The company provides support, supervision and coaching. The candidate ensures preparation and maintenance of media, solutions and lab consumables stock are executed efficiently and correctly, while taking initiatives to improve procedures and administration where necessary. The right candidate must take initiative, be efficient and well organized to deliver high quality results on time. Excellent communication skills are essential for this role as part of an interdisciplinary team. The incumbent must enjoy a “start-up” atmosphere and be flexible, show good judgment and be willing to take on additional tasks and responsibilities as needed to achieve goals and deliverables.
As a Lab Operations Assistant, you will…
● Work with Scientists and Research associates to support all projects
● Independently plan and perform assigned tasks in the labs:
● Prepare sterile stock solutions, prepare and autoclave different plant tissue culture media for corn and soybean using media claves, prepare plant tissue culture plates using automated plate pouring equipment.
● Prepare sterile antibiotics stocks, bacterial growth media and agar plates
● Cleaning and sterilization of glassware and small equipment
● Perform basic maintenance or calibration of lab and plant growth equipment
● Take responsibility for lab consumables stock management and organization: maintain stock levels and parts, order consumables
● Intake, delivery and registry of ordered consumables and equipment
● Take responsibility for waste management and safe disposal of lab waste
● Support in sowing, planting, plant tissue sampling (in lab, greenhouse and growth chamber) and support logistics where needed
● Provide safe work atmosphere for entire staff working in lab
● Maintain detailed, accurate and comprehensible records where needed
● Ordering and refills of drinks, food, office supplies etc.
● Proactively take up new tasks as our team and company are growing
● Bachelor’s degree with 2+ years of laboratory (support) experience or equivalent through experience
● Hands-on experience with media preparation, sterilization, stock management etc.is a plus
● Familiarity with electronic lab notebooks is a plus
● Proactive, highly motivated and strong team player with a high degree of independence
● Innovative and critical thinking, demonstrated problem-solving skills
● Excellent time management and organizational skills
● A collaborative approach, open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback
We offer you a challenging job in an exciting environment. You will be part of a growing and innovative company. You will be part of a multidisciplinary team and have the possibility to grow in your role through continuous learning. You will be challenged to take initiative, contributing to the success of the company. We offer you a competitive compensation package in line with your skills and experience.
FOR U.S. CANDIDATES: Please note that we use the resume you submit with your application during our background check process. To ensure an efficient and accurate background verification, we kindly ask that you carefully review and accurately represent your work history, education and other relevant information on your resume. Any discrepancies or inaccuracies found during the background check may impact your candidacy for the position.